About Me

A practising lawyer, living in London with his lovely spouse, and 2 dogs . Making a living of the law, while trying to find time to write and express

Monday 16 January 2012

Scattershot on a Monday evening

Just some thoughts with no particular association and in no particular order.

1.  Automobiles come equipped with headlights AND taillights.  People who fail to turn on their lights at dusk seem to forget the latter.  Athough you may have daytime running lights that provide some illumination ahead, a black car on a dark road with no taillights is a virtual phantom that you can't see until you're right on top of it. 

So, ... please turn on your lights before dark if you don't want to end up as a hood ornament.

2.  I listen to REM's greatest hits album, Part Lies,  Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982 - 2011, on my long commute home and I can't help being struck by how Michael Stipe's plaintive "I nee-e-ed this" on Country Feedback still feels like a cry for help. When I was recently indisposed (to be as delicate as I can be), the refrain to Green Grow the Rushes started running through my head.  I sat wondering if any music I've listened to since 1995 will ever have the intimate impact that REM, Midnight Oil, the Smiths and U2 (and a handful of other bands) did.  Okkervil River Arcade Fire?  The broken poetry of Art Brut?  I wonder if anything, musical or otherwise, can ever be that romantic and immediate again.  Middle age.  Meh.

3.  Watch when you use the word we, I and you.  It can be very telling.  The best laid plans of mice and people, especially the ones that require a clear delineation between 'us' and 'them', are so easily undone.  Even a pronoun can be a tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment